Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Welcome, primate friends!

I have decided to confess to my incomplete certainty about What Should Be Done. As a matter of safety, therefore, I am disqualified from ordinary political argument, where such a confession is taken as an invitation to a snack at one's jugular. Fine. I don't want to engage that defensive, tribal, rationalizing part of myself (or any reader) here. I want to think, honestly, about why people get so het up about some of their opinions, how they change their minds, how they can live together, more-or-less peacefully, under what rules, enforced by what institutions.....please, let's not call it politics.


I confess up front that my political leanings are libertarian-ish. I think I have good reasons for leaning that way; articulating those reasons and exposing them to your criticism (dispassionate and polite, please) will no doubt change my mind (and maybe yours) about some of them.

I have a job and kids and a weak constitution, so posts may be erratic. Nevertheless, I declare this thing open.





No comments: